“Return to Previous Arctic Conditions is Unlikely”
Climate change is happening NOW.
And global warming is not something we need to worry about 100 years in the future. The results are visible today.
And it’s quiet possible there’s no going back. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) is out with its 2010 update on the Arctic environment (PDF), and the news is not good.
- Warming of the atmosphere and sea water (warmer temperatures near the poles push colder air further south, leading to massive snowstorms)
- Loss of summer sea ice and degradation of winter ice
- Accelerating loss of Greenland glacial ice
- Permafrost melt (and accompanying release of methane into the atmosphere)
- Stress on many animal populations, especially caribou and reindeer
Scientists warn that the Arctic may have entered into a “death spiral”. Meaning there’s no way back.
Watch the video: