For years, Bjorn Lomborg was one of the leading climate skeptics. He even authored a book, “The Skeptical Environmentalist: Measuring the Real State of the World“, on the subject.
Lomborg has since become a believer in global warming, but he has his own take on it: We’re focusing too much on fear and not enough on smarts. His latest book, “Cool It: The Skeptical Environmentalist’s Guide to Global Warming“, has been made into a documentary that opens this Friday.
This film has been described as a rebuttal to Al Gore’s film “An Inconvenient Truth“, in that Gore pushed the fear angle, and turned a lot of people off.
“Global warming is real,” Lomborg told CBN News, “but it’s not the scary, end-of-all-things that it’s been made out to be in Al Gore’s film.”
- We’re not going to sell this through fear. Scaring people isn’t working.
- We’re not going to fix this by getting everyone to change their lightbulbs.
- We’re talking about spending money on the wrong things. “If we only listen to worst-case scenarios, we are likely to be spending our money on the people who shout the loudest.” What we mostly need is a crash program for alternative energy development.
“[Fossil fuels] pollute, they cause a security problem and, fundamentally, there’s a lot of things that would be nicer if we could just simply produce energy off our rooftops or in our own backyards,” he says. “Or we could grow our own oil fields out in the sea with algae, for instance.”
So is Lomborg the savior of the climate movement or, as some critics have called him, “the devil incarnate”? We’ll have more coverage on this over the course of the week.
In the meantime, check out the trailer, or buy the book.
- Uncool – Climate Skeptic’s Documentary Flops
- “Cool It” Documentary: Lomborg talks Sense and Nonsense on Global Warming
- Is The Opportunity To Reduce The Risk Of Climate Change Beneath Us As Americans?
- Is Sea Level Rise Really a Big Deal?
- Climate Change and Science – Cutting Through the Talking Points to the Truth