Published on January 28th, 2011 | by Jeremy Bloom5
Hot Planet, Cool Sports – X-Games’ Gretchen Bleiler Fights Global Warming
It’s affecting us now, in lots of ways both small and large. And while it seems ironic when the northeast is getting socked by blizzards, it’s also very true that screwing up the climate is screwing up snow patterns. And that affects winters sports like skiing and boarding.
Remember when the Vancouver Olympics had snow troubles? Gretchen Bleiler doesn’t want you to forget. The winner of an Olympic silver medal and 4 X-Games golds wants you to know that you should be taking global warming very seriously:
“The environment is very near and dear to my heart, having grown up in Aspen, and also being a pro snowboarder who chases the snow year-round. I’ve been doing that for the past 10 years. Climate change has just been totally in my face, and I’ve seen the effects all around the world.
I started a new company with my husband, mom and step-father-in-law called Alex Bottle (a stainless steel reuseable water bottle that splits in the middle for easy cleaning), and we also just started the 21-Day Reusable Challenge. All of these things were doing just to try to make an impact and create a little bit of a shift where we’re all living a little bit more conscientiously.”
This week she was at her alma mater, Aspen High School, as part of her work with the Alliance for Climate Education, rallying the students to commit to the 21-day challenge. She told the students that climate change has got her hot and bothered. She was supposed to go to New Zeeland to ski – but couldn’t. There was no snow.
“We finished up the presentation by having all of Aspen High School pledge to not use plastic bags, plastic water bottles and Styrofoam containers for 21 days and hopefully forever. I’m so proud of my Alma Mater!”
Here’s Gretchen talking about the 21-Day Challenge:
And if you want to find out more about what you can do, check out:
- Join Gretchen Bleiler and pledge to Do One Thing to help fight climate change
- Join Gretchen and Snowboard Magazine in taking the 21-Day Challenge
- Check out other projects at Alliance for Climate Education and Stop Gobal Warming
- Sign up on ACE’s Facebook page, or ACE’s YouTube channel
- Check out Gretchen’s eco-friendly alex water bottles
More on Climate Change and Global Warming from Red Green and Blue:
- The Challenger Disaster: What Happens When Politics Overrides Science
- Exposed! Justin Bieber Proves Global Warming a Hoax!
- Climate Change and Science – Cutting Through the Talking Points to the Truth
- Is Sea Level Rise Really a Big Deal?
- Yes, Cold Weather in Europe STILL Means Global Warming
- Fox News Viewers Misinformed About Global Warming
- James Hansen is Optimistic About Climate Change (Because of China, Not Us)
Next, use your Solar Report to get the best quote!