Voters oppose government support for clean energy? Not so fast…
But it’s funny how surveys work. There’s a big difference between asking clean questions, and horrifically loaded questions that are carefully weighted to get the response you prefer. Guess which kind Rasmussen asked?
Rasmussen claims “Fifty-seven percent (57%) of Likely U.S. Voters think free market competition is more likely than government subsidies and regulation to help the United States develop alternative sources of energy. A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that just 27% believe government subsidies and regulations are the better way to go. Sixteen percent (16%) are not sure.”
Here are Rasmussen’s survey questions, in order:
- How closely have you followed recent news reports about Solyndra?
- In 2009, private investors refused to invest more money in Solyndra but the government wanted to support an alternative energy company. The federal government then provided Solyndra with a $535 million loan guarantee. When private investors refuse to invest in alternative energy companies, should the federal government provide loan guarantees or loans to help keep the company in business?
- When business owners support a winning politician, do they get special treatment when applying for government loan guarantees?
- What’s more likely to help the United States develop alternative sources of energy – free market competition or government subsidies and regulations?
- If private investors will not invest in companies that want do develop solar or wind power, should the federal government provide funding for those companies to develop alternative sources of power?
What are the odds of them getting “clean” answers after loading the questions that way? If you said “Slim to none”, then you’d probably make a better pollster than Rasmussen.
But you can also bet that these results will be trumpeted on Fox News as evidence that the public doesn’t support clean energy.
Like what you just read? Like us on Facebook for more updates!
More on solar, Solyndra and subsidies:
- House GOP plans new witch hunt over solar bankruptcy
- Big political winner for Dems – Clean energy
- The true story on power – fossil fuels and nuclear get huge subsidies, wind power not so much
- Clean Energy: Yep, China is Seriously Eating Our Lunch
(Solyndragatepocalypse image by Mark Fiore)