Calvin and Hobbes explain Occupy Wall Street
Why do people not get Occupy Wall Street? Does anyone really believe that the banks are perfectly blameless, and the only problem with our economy is a bunch of slobs who are too lazy to work?
Even twenty years go, the problems inherent in American business could be easily reduced to a twelve-panel comic strip… and as usual, Calvin and Hobbes nails it perfectly. (via)
- Businesses want too much
- They blame “supply and demand” for their own excesses (while limiting the free market whenever it suits them)
- They’er delusional
- All decisions are driving by an extremely narrow view of shareholder benefits (short-term profits vs long-term growth)
- Management compensation is out of control
- … but management always blames employee salaries and benefits for high costs
- They cut corners and do shoddy work in the name of cost-cutting and “competitiveness”
- … but don’t want any kind of regulation
- They blame “socialists” and “anti-capitalists” for all their problems
- … then demand subsidies and tax breaks!
And this is from 20 years ago! (click on it for a larger version that’s easier to read)…
Like what you just read? Like us on Facebook for more updates!
More fun stuff for a progressive weekend:
- Lemony Snicket explains OWS to those who are confused
- Movie trailer: The Lorax speaks for the 80 percent (with Zac Efron and Taylor Swift)
- Occupy Sesame Street!
- Musical interlude: Amanda Palmer sings to OWS
- Sean Lennon and Rufus Wainwright offer OWS material support
- OWS: A short film by Jonathan Demme
- You say you want a revolution? (With video)
- Why we occupy: The Story of Citizens United – Why Democracy Only Works When People Are In Charge.
More on Occupy Wall Street:
- Busted! Occupy Oakland police infiltrators exposed on video.
- Bill Maher skewers right-wing idiots who hate Occupy Wall Street
- Why we occupy: David Brin explains that 1957 was NOT better than today (but we could still use a little more change)
- Why are they lying about Occupy Wall Street – and why are they getting away with it?
- Police brutality catapults Occupy Wall Street into the mainstream media
- Does Occupy Wall Street spell the end of the Tea Party?
- Find your local occupation at Occupy Together – now planned for more than 1,000 cities! | Twitter |Facebook
- Atlanta: website | Twitter| Livestream |Facebook
- Boston: website | twitter | yfrog | Livestream |Facebook
- Dallas: website | Twitter| Livestream |Facebook
- Los Angeles: Website | Twitter| Livestream |Facebook | Youtube
- New York: website | Twitter| Livestream |Facebook
- Portland: Website | Twitter|Livestream |Facebook
- San Francisco: Website | Twitter|Livestream |Facebook
- Seattle: Livestream (Video) | website | Twitter |Facebook
- Information about making donations can be found here: nycga.cc/donate