Published on October 22nd, 2011 | by Jeremy Bloom9
Bill Maher skewers right-wing idiots who hate Occupy Wall Street
Bill Maher got a great rant going at the end of yesterdays show. He just skewers the right-wingers who are (so far unsuccessfully) trying to frame Occupy Wall Street as a bunch of lazy hippies – rather than the reality, that it is an amazingly diverse cross-section of real America.
Here’s what he has to say:
And finally, New Rule: Republicans have to stop calling the Wall Street protesters “hippies”. Yes, they’re peeing outdoors, and having sex in sleeping bags, or as Bristol Palin calls it, “dating”. But they’re not hippies!
The hippies are all gone. Woodstock was 42 years ago. Forget the brown acid, the people who were at Woodstock are now taking the blue Viagra. ”Turn on, tune in, drop out“, refers to their hearing aids. Wavy Gravy is 75 years old. He’s making wavy gravy in his pants.
… Of course conservatives want to make this about hippies, because they like to live in the past! Rush Limbaugh, who really is too square to be a drug addict, said, “When the free drugs run out, when the free sex runs out, they’ll get bored and move on to something else.”
Oh that’s right, Grandpa. Look at them, strumming their sitars and wearing dungarees. Whatever happened to the good old days of segregation and date rape? But I get it. You’re bitter because we fought a culture war in the ’60s and the Right lost. Rick Santorum is like that Japanese soldier on the island who doesn’t know the war is over, so he’s still fighting against birth control and butt sex.
Plus, Republicans are now mostly a Southern party, and if there’s one thing Southerners don’t do well, it’s lose a war and get over it. (audience applause) But that war is indeed over. The ideals of the youth movement became assimilated into American society. That’s why we have gays in the military now, and pre-natal yoga classes, and tofurkey. And that’s why Rick Santorum will never be President, and a black guy who snorted cocaine is. (audience applause)
It’s also why there’s not going to be a repeat of what happened the last time the hippies were in the streets. Those hard hats that you’re depending on to turn against the lousy hippies? Heh. Here’s what they’re doing now. They’re cheering them on. (audience applause) Because now, the hard hats are just as broke as everybody else.
These people down there, they’re not the counter-culture. They’re the culture. (audience applause)
They don’t want free love. They want paid employment. (audience applause)
They don’t hate capitalism. They hate what’s been done to it. (audience applause)
And they resent the Republican mantra that the market perfectly rewards the hard-working and punishes the lazy, and the poor are just jealous moochers who want a handout. Yeah, because if there’s one group of people who hate handouts, it’s Wall Street.
Now with embedded video! Watch the whole thing….
Like what you just read? Like us on Facebook for more updates!
More on Occupy Wall Street:
- More trouble for pepper-spray cop Anthony Bologna?
- Anatomy of a Victory: Occupy Wall Street Wins a Big One
- DON’T close your Citibank account today. They’re arresting people
- Going to an OWS protest tomorrow? Read this EFF guide to your cellphone sercurity & rights
- Calvin and Hobbes explain OWS
- Why are they lying about OWS – and why are they getting away with it?
- Police brutality catapults OWS into the mainstream media
- Does OWS spell the end of the Tea Party?
- Occupy Sesame Street!
- Why we occupy: The Story of Citizens United – Why Democracy Only Works When People Are In Charge
- Find your local occupation at Occupy Together – now planned for more than 1,000 cities! | Twitter |Facebook
- Atlanta: website | Twitter | Livestream |Facebook
- Boston: website | twitter | yfrog | Livestream |Facebook
- Dallas: website | Twitter | Livestream |Facebook
- Los Angeles: Website | Twitter | Livestream |Facebook | Youtube
- New York: website | Twitter | Livestream |Facebook
- Portland: Website | Twitter |Livestream |Facebook
- San Francisco: Website | Twitter |Livestream |Facebook
- Seattle: Livestream (Video) | website | Twitter |Facebook
- formation about making donations can be found here: nycga.cc/donate