Which banks are the worst? Royal Bank of Canada funds tar sands
The Rainforest Action Network named the Royal Bank of Canada last year’s most environmentally and socially irresponsible company. Without RBC funding, the tar sands project – one of the most environmentally devastating projects on the planet – wouldn’t be going forward. (See: “It’s not jobs vs environment – it’s clean jobs vs dirty jobs“)
As activist Eriel Deranger explains in the video, the tar sands is so horrific it is literally taking a country as green and fertile as Middle Earth and turning it into the blasted devastation of Mordor. Or as NASA scientist James Hansen says, if the tar sands program keeps cranking out high-CO2 petroleum at this rate, it’s “Game over” for the world’s climate.
Here’s a video explaining the trouble with the tar sands, and RBC’s role:
What can you do?
- You can go to TarSandsAction.org to get plugged into the fight to stop the Keystone pipeline.
- Head over to OccupyTogether.org to find out more about joining the 99%.
Like what you just read? Like us on Facebook for more updates!
More on tar sands and the fight to prevent the Keystone XL pipeline that would transmit tar sands oil through the US:
- It’s not jobs vs environment – it’s clean jobs vs dirty jobs
- Tar sands battle plan, phase 2
- Solidarity: Occupy Wall Street + the Climate Movement
- Tar sands oil pipeline could contaminate US heartland
- Bill McKibben faces jail to block Keystone tar sands…
- Keystone XL tar sands pipeline a small part of a bigger picture
- Why we should block the Keystone Tar Sands Pipeline – Sen. Bernie Sanders