Published on October 28th, 2011 | by Jeremy Bloom4
Will winter weather stop Occupy Wall Street?
Mayor Bloomberg hopes the onset of winter will finally convince Occupy Wall Street to pack up the tents and tarps and go home. On October 10 he predicted the protests would dissipate with the first sign of frost.
But now, as winter is setting in to the Northeast, he may find himself disappointed by the demonstrators stamina and resourcefulness.
These are the times that try men’s souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman…
Thomas Paine, The American Crisis
In New York, The Daily News reports it was “given a peek inside occupiers’ storage space at 52 Broadway and saw shelves lined with blankets, sub-zero sleeping bags, heavy coats, cough syrup and even an assortment of herbal teas.” And there are 200 to 400 packages with more supplies arriving daily.
In Philadelphia, tents and heaters have been donated to the occupation.
At Occupy Denver, they’re already dealing with snow and freezing cold, but police insist: No tents! They’re sleeping under tarps, and facing hypothermia.
And now CNBC reports from New York City, “Plans are underway to rent an enormous space capable of housing up to 300 people so that Occupy Wall Street can continue through the winter.”
“We’re going to find a place where people can sleep at night, store their stuff. We’ll maintain a continuous presence in the park but you can’t ask people to put their lives in danger. It’s Occupy Wall Street, not Freeze to Death In Zuccotti Park,” [a person closely connected with the core de facto leadership of Occupy Wall Street] said.
But perhaps a better metaphor might be Valley Forge.
Like what you just read? Like us on Facebook for more updates!
More on Occupy Wall Street:
- Irvine City Council says Occupy Orange County tents are free speech. Unanimously.
- Contempt of court? Reporter among those arrested tonight at Occupy Nashville.
- Police brutality catapults OWS into the mainstream media
- DON’T close your Citibank account today. They’re arresting people
- Gone rogue! NYPD lie through their teeth, arrest author Naomi Wolf
- Bill Maher skewers right-wing idiots who hate Occupy Wall Street
- Calvin and Hobbes explain OWS
- Why are they lying about OWS – and why are they getting away with it?
- Why we occupy: The Story of Citizens United – Why Democracy Only Works When People Are In Charge
- Find your local occupation at Occupy Together – now planned for more than 1,000 cities! | Twitter |Facebook
- Atlanta: website | Twitter | Livestream |Facebook
- Boston: website | twitter | yfrog | Livestream |Facebook
- Dallas: website | Twitter | Livestream |Facebook
- Los Angeles: Website | Twitter | Livestream |Facebook | Youtube
- New York: website | Twitter | Livestream |Facebook
- Portland: Website | Twitter |Livestream |Facebook
- San Francisco: Website | Twitter |Livestream |Facebook
- Seattle: Livestream (Video) | website | Twitter |Facebook
- formation about making donations can be found here: nycga.cc/donate