Occupy Wall Street regroups after brutal ejection from Zuccotti Park
The sun came up this morning over a Zuccotti Park that had been scrubbed clean of the Occupation.
The park is dead, but the movement lives on.
Mayor Bloomberg says Occupy Wall Street had 2 months “with tents and sleeping bags. Now they will have to occupy the space with the power of their arguments.”
Here’s a summary of what went down last night:
- Police gave Occupiers NO time to removed their property at Zuccotti Park. They moved in and started trashing everything and loading it into trucks, including tents, food, medicine, and 5,000 books in the library.
- There have been many arrests and injuries, including Councilman Ydanis Rodriquez, who suffered a head injury at the hands of the NYPD. We also have reports of beatings and use of pepper-spray.
- Police blocked all media and herded them into a “Press Pen”, far from the action. They also ordered TV helicopters out of the sky. At least one journalist was arrested, the NY Times’ Jared Malsin
- Andrew Katz reports that Foley Square will replace Zuccotti park. “No tents, just people”.
- There will be 7 am GA and 9 am rally, at 6th Avenue & Canal Street (but check to confirm – things are very fluid now).
Like what you just read? Like us on Facebook for more updates!
- Hawaiian singer Makana Occupies President Obama’s state dinner
- Bill Moyers: How the 1970s backlash against the environmental movement morphed into today’s class war
- Will winter weather stop Occupy Wall Street?
- Bill Maher skewers right-wing idiots who hate Occupy Wall Street
- Calvin and Hobbes explain OWS
- Why are they lying about OWS – and why are they getting away with it?
- Why we occupy: The Story of Citizens United – Why Democracy Only Works When People Are In Charge
- Why we occupy: David Brin explains that 1957 was NOT better than today (but we could still use a little more change)
More on questionable Police tactics
- More trouble for pepper-spray cop Anthony Bologna?
- Even Oakland’s undercover cop says OPD has gone too far against Occupy Wall Street
- Busted! Occupy Oakland police infiltrators exposed on video.
- Is the NYPD pushing drunks and drug dealers on Occupy Wall Street?
- shooting by Oakland cops caught on video
- Law professors shocked by police brutality against Occupy Oakland
- Crowd control techniques used by Oakland cops violated army rules of engagement for war zones
- Kieth Olbermann calls Occupy Tulsa pepper-spraying worst police abuse yet.
(Zuccotti Park picture by Michael Tracey/@mtracey)