Climate Hawks Vote endorses Debbie Mucarsel-Powell for Congress in FL-26
Climate Hawks Vote is endorsing Debbie Mucarsel-Powell in Florida’s 26th District, running against Carlos Curbelo. “Carlos Curbelo, the Republican member of Congress who does more about climate change than any other Republican in Congress?” you may be thinking. Yes. But that’s a low bar.
Let me explain what’s driving Climate Hawks Vote – our “theory of change,” in movement jargon. Simply put: the world is warming faster than Republicans are warming up to believing in climate change.The ice sheets can’t wait for Republicans to come around to accepting basic science, then debating possible solutions, and only then begin to discuss the possibility of a bipartisan bill. We have to vote them out instead.
Republicans are barely beginning to come around on climate change. Some admit that it’s real, sort of. They don’t know how much warming is caused by humans and how much is natural. They’re not scientists and heaven forbid they’d actually ask a scientist… but they know they don’t like the solution, which is to transition away from a fossil fuel powered economy toward one run on clean energy.
Carlos Curbelo tries to have it both ways:
- He introduced a carbon tax bill, HR 6463, which has attracted a grand total of two cosponsors.
- He stands up against oil drilling off the Florida coast – but he’s voted for drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (as part of the GOP tax “reform” bill passed last December, HR 1).
- He’s happy to accept oil money – $10,000 each from Exxon and Chevron, $5,000 each from Valero and Marathon Petroleum, $1,000 each from American Petroleum Institute and American Gas Association, in 2017-18 alone.
- 83% of his votes align with Donald Trump.
And he’s vulnerable. Florida’s 26th Congressional District, in Miami, is a Clinton-Republican district, meaning that one of the nation’s best opportunities to flip a Republican seat in 2018. A New York Times/Siena poll, just concluded ten days ago, has Curbelo winning 47-44, within the margin of error. Analysts generally consider it a toss-up district.
We wouldn’t endorse unless we were sure that the Democrat would be a real climate hawk:
- Through Debbie Mucarsel-Powell’s work with the Coral Restoration Foundation, she knows first-hand that inaction on climate change is not an option.
- Debbie was an early signer of the #NoFossilFuelMoney pledge.
- In Congress, she’ll advocate for a low-fossil fuel economy, clean energy and innovative infrastructure that will protect our front-line communities.
- Bold climate action, not timidity, is needed in this Miami-area district, ground zero for sea level rise.
I’ve publicly labeled Carlos Curbelo the leader of the Climate Peacocks – Republicans who strut and squawk and say they want to do something on climate change, but end up voting just like all the rest of the fossil-fueled Republicans whenever climate bills come up.
It’s time to vote him out – and vote in Debbie Mucarsel-Powell instead.
Can you contribute to help elect Debbie Mucarsel-Powell?
|If you’ve stored your info with ActBlue, we’ll process your contribution instantly:
Bonus: unlike the current member of Congress, Debbie won’t vote to take away your health care.