Vote! Here’s your voting toolkit, with links to get you help if you have any problems.
Today is the big day! While millions have already cast their ballots at early voting centers or by mail, most Americans will be voting over the next 16 hours. Will you be among them? We hope so – for the sake of our planet and our Democracy! Here are a few things you’ll need to know, and some resources in case you run into trouble.
- Know your polling place. Our friends at vote.org have assembled everything you need to know about voting, including a “find your polling place” tool.. Try it!
- Bring your voter ID. This varies from state to state, but in most states a driver’s license or identification card works.
- You have the right to demand a provisional ballot in most states. If you get any flak about not being able to vote, demand a provisional ballot.
- Know this number: 866-OUR-VOTE. Or text “our vote” to 97779. This election protection hotline is run by the Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights Under Law – the group that just beat Brian Kemp in the courts. (Brian Kemp is the Georgia Republican secretary of state in charge of administering that state’s voting laws, and he’s running against Stacey Abrams for governor, so he spends his waking hours trying to keep Georgians from voting for Democrats. Don’t get me started on the conflict of interest.)
- Need voting help in another language?
- Spanish 888-VE-Y-VOTA (888-839-8682)
- Arabic 844-YALLA-US (844-925-5287)
- Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, Bengali, Hindi, Urdu and Tagalog 888-API-VOTE (888-274-8683)
- American Sign Language video call number: 301-818-VOTE (301-818-8683)
- SMS (text message) hotline (English): text OUR VOTE to 97779
- You have the right to disregard the #voterfraud scare tactic – a meme being pushed by, mostly, bots to create the appearance of fraud, so as to justify more restrictions on your right to vote. (The same accounts claim that George Soros is funding the caravan, and Democrats are sending bombs to themselves.)
- You have the right to walk out of the voting booth with pride in your heart and your spirits high, knowing that you’ve participated in the core of the American democratic process.
- Here’s a list of all the candidates endorsed by Climate Hawks Vote for Election 2018. Even if you’re not in one of these districts, if you have some time today, make calls to help get out the vote! (Links available in the article.)
- Follow the results tonight: Check out the DailyKos election night results tracker, nationwide poll closing time map, and hour-by-hour election night watch guide.
Get out and vote! Our democracy and our climate depend on you!
Keep these handy!